Call to Action – another group inside the UMC working to revitalize the church – lists the following factors as indicators of congregational vitality:
- Average worship attendance as percentage of membership;
- Total membership;
- Number of children, youth and young adults attending as percentage of membership;
- Number of professions of faith as percentage of attendance and membership;
- Actual giving per attendee; and
- Finance benevolence giving beyond the local church as a percentage of the church budget.
A full account to of the group’s work can be found here. The group plans to track these six indicators for every church in the UMC over the last five years. The story does not indicate if the denomination plans to do anything to see if the numbers reported by churches reflect reality in any meaningful sense. Nor is it clear what it will do with this data.
These look like the “stuff we can count,” so I think I see where and why we have these six.